Sunday, July 18, 2010

What a week!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any cute pictures or funny things to share, but this was a week I just have to blog about. It's amazing how your circumstances can literally change in a matter of minutes and just flip everything upside down...or at least make it feel that way.

On Tuesday, we went in for an ultrasound appointment that didn't go as we had expected. After doing some measurements and finding out that my cervix wasn't quite the right size, we were told that we would have to be going to the hospital to check in with Labor and Delivery. No expecting mom is ready to hear that at 34 weeks! After being monitored for a few hours, being pumped with fluids and steroids and losing all sense of privacy, I was told that I would be staying at the hospital. For some reason I just felt super crushed. This was not how I thought this would all happen!!!!

At around 2 am we finally got into our own room where we would continue to be monitored and pumped full of more fluids, steroids and antibiotics. The next 3 days were just more of the same, and I became more desperate to go home. Being on bed rest would be so much easier in my own space...without a hospital gown or constant connection to an IV and monitor.

On Friday we finally got word that we could go home with the understanding that I could go into preterm labor at any time. I'm now stuck on the couch or bed for the remainder of this pregnancy. For those of you that know me well, that is not ideal! However, I will do whatever I have to do to keep this baby healthy and growing.

I left the hospital about 3 times larger than I was when I got there. After being hooked up to an IV for 4 days, my body has literally changed shape. My face is gigantic and the rest of my body is just a pocket full of fluid. I couldn't even get my own clothes to fit as we left the hospital. I'm pretty sure this baby also had a decent growth spurt after all those lovely steroids.

All in all, things are fine...just not how I pictured them.

I always enjoyed trying to stay fit and active during this pregnancy, and that's now not an option anymore. I guess I'll just work that much harder after I have the baby, huh? ;)

Now we'll just have to wait and see if this baby comes in July or August!!!!!!

Okay, I'm done now...thanks for letting me vent about all of that! :)

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh hun...I just can't imagine. The good news about the fluid is that it comes off quickly! Although you look huge, with in a matter of weeks after you have the baby it's all gone! I retained fluid like a mad woman and then after the 3 bags of IV fluid...yikes. I didn't look like myself and it felt funny to talk because my lips were so swollen. But, without changing eating habits and not doing much exercise, 6 weeks after Lauren was born I was only up 3 lbs. I gained at least 30! I can't wait to see this baby!!! We'll keep praying for you three!

Unknown said...

Oh, Rachel, Em told me you were in the hospital! I am praying for you and Baby! I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end, when you get to hold that precious little one in your arms! Love you! Cathy

Rachel said...

Thanks for encouraging me, Andrea. I wondered how much fluid you got when you actually went in to have a baby. They literally gave me AT LEAST 20 bags of fluids over those 4 days. There were usually 2 bags going at the same time and my body is paying for it! You can actually feel pockets of fluid on my back, but I'm sure things will continue to get better over the next few days. I'm just thankful this baby is doing okay!!!!

There's just one thing I should ask for prayer in...the last few sonograms we've had have concerned us a little about the baby's head. I know it's weird, but the shape of his/her head has looked a little different to us, and we're just hoping and praying that this baby will be totally healthy and developmentally mature. As a mama, I'd love for you all to pray with me for this baby.

Andrea said...

Did the sono tech say anything about the head shape? I thought Lauren's head looked really strange too...like her eyes were REALLY far apart and crooked on her face...all turned out well. Never-the-less, we'll continue to pray!

Rachel said...

The techs haven't ever said anything about the forehead, but we find it strange that the sonograms continue to look a little different. We did ask our doctor in Colorado about it all, but she said it's hard to tell from sonograms. The forehead just looks really flat and set far back. We may be worried for no reason...we just want to shower this babe with lots of prayers! :)

Keri said...

That doesn't sound fun at all! Glad you're able to be at home, and lots of prayers for a safe delivery and healthy baby!!!! (And for the swelling to go too:)

Amanda said...

Aw, Rach! Sorry things aren't going the way you wanted them too. I know how that is. Our children's births didn't go the way we planned either! But it will be worth it all when that sweet little baby is in your arms!

I think it is totally normal for parents to worry a little about the baby's health. I think I did with every one! If the doctors don't seem to be concerned I'm sure everything is fine. But, you're right, showering the baby (and doctors, and you guys!) with prayer is never a bad thing!

Can't wait to meet baby Eck!

Cherie said...

Rachel and Brandon:

Praying for you and the health of your baby...sorry it's been a rough week.