Sunday, March 7, 2010

Weekend Getaway

This weekend we got to drive up near Winter Park to see our good friends, Kevin and Diana.


The drive out there didn't go quite as planned. Just as we began the hike up the pass we started seeing brake lights and came to a total stand still. The roads weren't in terrible condition, but we assumed there must have been some kind of accident. We waited for about 40 minutes or so wondering if we'd get to start moving again some time soon. That's when we started to hear the announcement over a loud speaker that there was an avalanche. Apparently we missed an avalanche by just a few minutes. The road was closed about 8 cars ahead of where we were. Our next problem was then figuring out how to get over that mountain to get to our friend's house. Our other problem was that I was in DESPERATE need of a restroom!


This was my ONLY option for a restroom for the next couple of hours. I definitely have high bathroom standards, but this time I just tried to ignore how grody the place looked.

So what should have been a two and half hour drive turned into a five and half hour drive, but it was worth it :)


On Saturday Diana made us a delicious Italian feast and I helped by making the dessert. However, common household items can become hazardous in high altitude, including cocoa. This container of cocoa literally exploded all over myself and the kitchen. We had never seen anything quite like it.


Here are Kevin and Diana cleaning up the cocoa disaster.


Brandon and I are always searching for wildlife when we're driving around these mountains. This time we spotted 2 bighorn sheep and actually got to snap a picture as we drove by.

3 comments:

amybodde said...

Look! It's a big horn! Quick, staring contest, you and me.....

You win.... you always do.

Naaaaaaatuuuure

Amy

Rachel said...

That's AWESOME!!!!! I haven't thought about that in forever! :) Thanks for the good laugh!!!

PS - Do you have a blog now? I saw the blogger icon next to your name.

amybodde said...

No, I don't have a blog yet. I keep thinking about starting one now that we have the baby. I really should!